Sony Alpha 7R – may be the most exciting products to come out of the Sony labs in some time and it is favored by videographers. When you got a Sony 7R and captured a lot of videos with it, what you will do next? Most of us would like to make some editing with MTS footage from Sony Alpha 7R, but problems came up. While importing Sony 7R MTS to FCP, iMovie or FCE for editing on Mac OS X, there are many video, audio issues.
The reason why we found that it is difficult to play and edit the Sony Alpha 7R AVCHD videos with Final Cut Pro, iMovie, FCE on Mac is due to its high rate compression and special codec. In order to make the AVCHD videos from Sony 7R compatible with Mac, the easy workaround is to convert Sony MTS files. For this purpose, this article mainly shows you how to transcode Sony 7R videos for editing, playing in FCP, iMovie, FCE in detail. Below is how.
Converting Sony Alpha 7R MTS to Mac FCP, iMovie, FCE compatible video
1. First, connect Sony 7R to Mac via usb cable, firewire, or a/v cable, turn on the camcorder and copy video files from Sony 7R to Mac hard disk.
2. Download and install Brorsoft MTS/M2TS Converter for Mac
It works as a best Sony MTS Converter under OS X Leopard (10.5), Snow Leopard (10.6), Lion (10.7), Mountain Lion (10.8). With it, you can effortlessly transcode Sony Alpha 7R MTS files to ProRes for FCP (X), AIC for iMovie/FCE. Plus, it can also help you to convert MTS/M2TS to MP4, MOV, FLV, AVI etc. videos for different uses.
3. Launch the Sony MTS Converter Mac and click add button to import 1080p MTS clips to the program for converting.
4. Click “format” bar to choose the output format. You can freely choose Final Cut Pro > Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov) for FCP, or iMovie and Final Cut Express > Apple InterMediate Codec (AIC) (*.mov) for working with iMovie/FCE
Tip: Click the Settings button; you can recommended to set the video size, bit rate, fame rate, etc.
5. Hit the Convert button to start the conversion; it will convert Sony AVCHD to iMovie/FCE/FCP friendly format on Mac OS X.
After the conversion, you can transfer the converted Sony Alpha 7R videos to Mac for further editing with FCP, FCE, iMovie smoothly.