I have a 4K video in an mp4 container (H.264). QT player 7 would not play it fluidly (though I suppose it’s normal) and QT player X just shows a black screen. How can I play a 4K video in QuickTime? Searching online, I got some clues. And now I want to write down this article to help QuickTime player users to solve the QuickTime 4K video playback issues.
As you see, 4K is coming. But believe it or not, 4K video is very difficult tor playback on PC, Mac. Apple has offered 4K playback support on OS X Mavericks, but with limits. Even if you can add a 4K video to QuickTime player, it is still an exercise in frustration- content on the display appeared tiny. What you can do is to scale the 4K resolution and tweaking a setting. What’s more, if your 4K videos in a Mac unsupported format, it won’t work at all. In this case, what you need is to convert 4K video to QuickTime playable format first. To resolve all the issues, we can recommend you Brorsoft 4K Video Converter Mac, which is an all-in-one tool that can help you to convert and downscale 4K videos within one stop.
Overall, this program is a completely professional 4K video converter and player. Just like the way it is dealing with 1080p videos, it is surely in the support of converting 4K videos in any formats faultlessly. With it, you can fast convert 4K Ultra HD videos in MP4, MKV, MXF, XAVC, WMV, AVI, or any other extension to QuickTime playable format with least quality loss. Plus, this 4K video converting software provides the optimal presets for portable devices like iPad, iPhone, Galaxy Tablet, Surface Tablet, Kindle Fire HDX; editing programs like Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro, iMovie, Avid MC, etc for better enjoying, editing 4K files. It is also available to customize the output resolutions to any size the users want. For Windows users, turn to 4K Video Converter to ensure perfect 4K playback.
How to View 4K Videos in QuickTime Player(Mac)
1. Load 4K footage Launch the 4K to QuickTime Converter Mac. Drag & drop 4K files to the program directly and your files would be added instantaneously. Or you can head to the “Add” button to locate the 4K videos you want to add.
2. Select output format Click format you choose MOV as target format. This video app offers the QuickTime Movie Format for you. Or, you can also choose “Common Video -> MOV – QuickTime (*.mov)” as the output format.
3. Tweak video, audio settings Click “Settings” button; you can adjust video and audio settings, including codec, aspect ratio, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate, and audio channel. To down-convert ultra HD 4K to 1080p for easier playback, you just need to adjust video size to 1920*1080.
4. Start 4K to QuickTime conversion Hit the “Convert” button to let this smart converter start encoding 4K to QuickTime .mov on Mac OS X. When the conversion is done, you can play the converted 4K videos in QuickTime player without hassle.
1. What are the PC/Mac system requirements for 4K playback?
I can give you some data points as I tested multiple configurations to find out myself. My requirements were 4Kp60. The tests were done using a 4k capable monitor connected via displayport (the monitor however was not mine). I tested this a few months ago, I believe.
Tests, in order of memory:
i7-4770k using integrated GPU: 4k@60, no issues.
EVGA nVidia GTX 750Ti: 4k@60, no issues.
i7-2600k using integrated GPU: 4k@60, no issues.
G540 Celeron CPU (2013 CPU) using integrated GPU: 4k@30 no issues, 4k@60 a slight slowdown during high action scenes. CPU was pegged @ 100% for majority of the scenes. I believe that this chip is using the same integrated GPU as the 2600k, so it may have simply been an issue of the performance capabilities of the chip.
EVGA nVidia GTX 680: 4k@60, no issues.
Of course, source video encoding is the most important aspect of these tests, so I tested with three sources:
Youtube 4k video scene (VP8 codec, I think?)
Netflix, House of Cards S2,Ep1 title sequence (Silverlight? Windows 8.1 OS).
Some random MKV that I don’t remember the codec of and I’m not sure why I mentioned it.
Conclusion, most modern GPUs and Intel CPUs can handle the scenes relatively well.
2. Some guys recommend third-party 4K video player apps like VLC, DivX Player, Media Player Classic, but all of them can’t be an ultimate solution for all 4K videos. Based on out testing, we found VLC can’t support 4K video well, Media Player Classic can play 4K movies but only on Windows… To have a smooth 4K playback on Mac/Windows, this professional 4K Ultra HD Video Converter is the best choice.